BEER CITY OPEN
JULY 8-11, 2021
Beer City Open
USAPA Sanctioned Event
July 8-11, 2021
It is with great disappointment that we reluctantly have to announce the 2020 Grand Rapids BEER CITY OPEN Pickleball Championships will be cancelled due to the COVID-19 Pandemic.
We look forward to welcoming the Pickleball World back to Grand Rapids for the 2021 BCO which will be held on July 8 – 11, 2021. There will be several enhancements to next year’s tournament, which we will announce at a later date.
Even if the virus is not as prevalent in the summer, and we certainly hope it’s not, there are issues that would impact most of the players, sponsors and organizers. Here are some of those concerns;
- Government Guidelines – Michigan has a “Stay at Home” mandate until May 15th and a State of Emergency through May 29th. As they begin to allow groups to gather, we can’t imagine they will allow a 500-player event at a city park in early July.
- The BCO is a party around a Pickleball Tournament. We love the Player Welcome Party on Thursday night at Perrin Brewing and the Beer Garden during the tournament. Gathering as a group is what makes this event special.
- Sponsors – We have outstanding and dedicated sponsors, but some of them have had to shut down their businesses, while others are seeing significantly reduced sales due to COVID-19.
- Players – In order for all to remain safe we can’t support gathering in a large group and feel that many players would stay away, impacting the registrations and fun of the event.
- Volunteers – The GRPC and the 800 club members typically love hosting this tournament, but once again we can’t justify putting them in harm’s way.
Once again, we look forward to welcoming you to GR in 2021. Please do not hesitate to contact Paul Richards or Andrea Koop with any questions you might have.
Please stay safe and healthy. See you soon on the PB courts.
BCO Tournament Committee